As of June 25th, 2021, all residential and commercial upholstered products were required to comply with California Technical Bulletin 117-2013. Along with this new standard, there are also requirements for labeling products in compliance.
All products are required to include a permanent label with the statement “Complies with U.S. CPSC requirements for upholstered furniture flammability.” This label will be considered proof of compliance. Products must be labeled by June 25th, 2022. Other requirements include:
- The statement must be at least 1/8 inch high and not smaller than other text on the label.
- Must be in black text, with a white background and black border.
- Must be written in the English language.
- Must be on the front of the label.
- Must be securely attached so it stays in place through merchandising and distribution.
- Must be placed where it is visible to the consumer.
- A hang tag or zip ties are not considered permanent labels.
- The label may be separate, or it can be added to the bottom of an existing California TB 117-2013 label, examples are pictured below.
Applied Lab is an accredited textile testing lab that offers Cal TB 117-2013 testing. Please reach out via Applied Labs contact form for pricing and lead times.
For more information about the update to Cal TB 117-2013 please reach out to email@example.com or 616-559-6149.
The information in this blog was obtained from the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website.
Subscribe for Updates