Urgent! Federal Law Change
On December 21st the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 was passed by Congress, and signed by the President on December 27th. Under this act is the “Title XXI – COVID-19 Regulatory Relief and Work from Home Safety Act” (section 2101). Section 2101 will make it mandatory for all residential and contract upholstered furniture to pass California Technical Bulletin 117-2013 (Cal TB 117-2013).
The Applied Textiles team is here to ensure you understand what this change may mean to your business and the requirements needed to meet compliancy. Important to note are the following:
- This mandate will take effect on June 25th, 2021.
- All residential and contract upholstered furniture, as defined by the act, must pass Cal TB 117-2013. This includes pillows and accessories.
- All residential and contract furniture will be required to include a permanent label that states “Complies with the U.S. CPSC requirements for upholstered furniture flammability.”
- Because upholstered furniture will require a permanent label, they will not be required to include a General Certificate of Conformity. The permanent label will act as the certification that the product complies with Cal TB 117-2013.
- Upholstered furniture will be required to withstand a “smolder test” and be smolder resistant, rather than an “open flame” standard, which was in place prior to Cal TB117-2013.
- This act does not affect mattresses, foundations, bedding products, or items that will be used for the purpose of physical fitness. However, these items are subject to other federal flammability standards.
- Companies should evaluate their current inventory and consider testing and labeling any furniture that will not sell before June 25th, 2021. It is not clear if this law will allow any “sell-through” time where companies may sell products that have not yet been tested or labeled.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-616-295-4055 with any questions you may have. As more information becomes available we will keep you updated.
For more information about the Title XXI – COVID-19 Regulatory Relief and Work from Home Safety Act please visit https://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20201221/BILLS-116HR133SA-RCP-116-68.pdf